Just as every workplace is unique, so are the safety concerns that arise in each facility. When it comes to slip-and-fall prevention in the food and beverage processing industry where wet, oily, dusty, and fine-ingredient or food-covered surfaces significantly increase the possibility of costly slip-and-fall accidents — there is no one-size-fits-all approach.
Safeguard Technology has more than 30 years of experience — serving 40-plus vertical markets — in offering the ideal customized solutions for anti-slip products all over the world. Our anti-slip solutions for the food and beverage processing industry keep people safe, while visually complementing surfaces.
Our anti-slip products exhibit excellent anti-corrosion properties and can withstand tough sanitation and high-pressure alkaline power washing at food and beverage processing facilities.
Not only are Safeguard’s anti-slip products built to last longer in the toughest environments on Earth, but they’re also supported by superb customer service, backed by warranties, and can include expert installation.
Addressing Food & Beverage Worker Safety
Whether from spills or debris from production, food and beverage processing facilities have an increased risk of slip-and-fall accidents compared to many other industries. These accidents can be costly, potentially resulting in decreased production, worker compensation, repairs, and lawsuits.
When it comes to finding the best anti-slip solutions for food and beverage processing, unique challenges include meeting National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) standards, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requirements, and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance.
Another major issue is sanitation, including the ability to properly clean a non-slip surface in order to inhibit bacteria formation underneath or along the edges of surfaces.
In addition, the non-slip grit itself must be encapsulated within the product to ensure no contamination occurs inside the facility.
Ineffective Anti-Slip Products
While there are many solutions available, not all safely and effectively address the unique challenges of the food and beverage processing industry.
Ineffective anti-slip options in the food and beverage industry include:
- Training — Believe it or not, there are companies that offer costly training to teach employees how to walk safely. Using a slippery surface and harness, workers are trained in lieu of installing anti-slip products in a facility. While it may seem like a decent idea, Safeguard has worked with companies that used this training, only to experience subsequent falls and opt for installing anti-slip products after footing the bill for this training.
- Slip-Resistant Shoes — While slip-resistant footwear may be better than taking no precautions, in the food and beverage processing industry their functionality is quickly outmatched by the hazards of the environment. In addition, many employees opt for less expensive shoes or boots when it comes time to replace them, eliminating any non-slip characteristics that may have been present in the original pair.
- Anti-Slip Tape — While there are acceptable uses for anti-slip tape, the food and beverage processing industry is not one of them. Tape is ideal for low-traffic, dry environments only. Using this solution in a food and beverage processing facility would not only result in an ineffective anti-slip solution, but it could also result in major issues, including costly product recalls if the tape’s grit comes off.
Effective Anti-Slip Solutions
Safeguard’s customized anti-slip safety solutions can ensure a food and beverage processing facility meets industry requirements and protects its workforce, while visually complementing surfaces. Learn why the following non-slip products are ideal for use in this industry:
- Walkway Covers: Convert any surface into a safe, non-slip working or walking area with Safeguard Hi-Traction® walkway and ramp covers. Our prefabricated retrofit covers can be quickly and easily installed over existing surfaces, including concrete, wood, metal plate, and grating, using mechanical fasteners or adhesive. The covers are available in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and grit options. Sikaflex-252 polyurethane adhesive seals cover edges and openings to prevent bacteria growth in compliance with food safety regulations. Durable and elastic, it bonds well to a wide variety of substrates including steel, ceramics, and plastics.
- Step Covers — Prevent slips and falls, especially on the leading edge of the stair, where most slips occur. Even in adverse conditions, Safeguard Hi-Traction anti-slip step covers provide excellent footing, far exceeding OSHA standards. They can be customized to ensure the right base material, grit, size, pass-through holes, and colors are selected for your exact application. Our step covers are fabricated to your specifications using a durable, non-load-bearing base of FRP fiberglass or galvanized or stainless steel.
- Mat-Traction™ — Our anti-slip Mat-Traction mats are a portable solution to help prevent slips and falls. Particularly relevant for the food and beverage processing industry, they can be removed for cleaning in a different area. They also offer anti-fatigue properties, fluid resistance, and pass-through design for particle and debris-clearing benefits.
The Safeguard Difference
When it comes to designing a customized solution for your food and beverage processing facility, our application specialists take a holistic approach.
The Safeguard team gathers all the necessary information to ensure they develop the best recommendation for a permanent anti-slip safety solution, including:
- Activity performed in the installation area
- Industry regulations
- Type of surface that will be covered
- Size, shape, and condition of the substrate
- Base material options
- Ideal grit size
- Preferred colors
- If installation is needed
Safeguard anti-slip products are made in the USA, with components sourced domestically as well as internationally — offering the ability to avoid supply chain disruptions so you receive your customized anti-slip products sooner.
Learn more about Safeguard or contact us to request a product sample, quote, or consultation.