Deliver Firm-Footed Traction From Top to Bottom
Significantly enhance safety in one of the most dangerous spaces: the slick, small foot surface area present on ladder rungs. Safeguard’s two styles of anti-slip ladder rung covers fit easily over the rung, demonstrating complete, long-lasting performance in the world’s toughest indoor and outdoor environments.
- Channel shaped and half-round styles
- FRP (fiberglass) and galvanized or stainless steel base
- Adhesive, mechanical, or welded installation
- Retrofit in the field, or specify as an OEM enhancement
Power generation facilities are notorious for slip-and-fall accidents, particularly on ladders. We heard the benefits first-hand from one of our customers about how temporary tapes needed to be replaced two or three times in a five year period. Now they use our products and save a lot of rework time.
“Self-adhesive anti slip tapes used on ladder rungs have a
limited life expectancy. On the average, anti-slip tapes have to be replaced two to three times in a five year time period.
The biggest advantage of utilizing Safeguard® Hi-Traction®
Ladder Rung Covers is that they are permanent. Once installed, no one will have to scrape and replace worn off material. They can even be repainted (lightcoat) to make them look like new again. This is the best solution for all conditions, interior and exterior.
Thanks to Safeguard, they're saving us a lot of rework.”
-From a VP of Safety at a major U.S. Power Plant
Base Material Options
Choose from one of the following base materials of construction, or provide your own material for direct gritting.
- Pultruded Fiberglass (FRP)
Lightweight, Impact Resistant, Cost-Effective
- Galvanized Steel 18 gauge (1.2 mm) G90
- Stainless Steel 18 gauge (1.2 mm) #316
- Direct Grit
Send us your OEM parts or your engineered drawings for fabrication, then gritting
Base Material Shapes
Important: The (A) dimension is generally up to 2” shorter than the length of the rung. If complete rung coverage is desired, make sure that no obstruction (for example: a weld bead) will interfere with the seating of the rung cover.
Max Sizes and Base Material
|Base Material||Lengths (A)||Diameters (B)|
|Pultruded FRP Round and Channel||Up to 48?
Up to 1,200 mm
|3/4 up to 2?
19 up to 50 mm
|Metal Channel||Up to 48?
Up to 1,200 mm
|3/4 up to 2?
19 up to 50 mm
|Metal Round||Up to 48?
Up to 1,200 mm
|3/4?, 7/8?, and 1?
20 mm and 25 mm
We offer five different grades of grit, depending on your application. Fine grade (Commercial) is the standard choice for most ladder applications.
- Extra Coarse (Offshore)
- Coarse (Industrial)
- Fine (Commercial)
- Extra Fine (Residential)
- Super Fine (Barefoot)
SAFEGUARD® Color Options
Standard and Safety Colors
Use for a variety of industrial and safety applications. Color and markings can be used to attract attention, designate caution, and communicate safety information.
Our Premium color palette provides architects, facilities managers, and home owners with additional contemporary color choices for safety applications. These designer colors fit the aesthetic requirements for anti-slip protection at schools, commercial offices, institutional buildings, hotels and personal residences.
In darkness or a power outage, HiGlo-Traction Photoluminescent colors highlight the way.
Two-Tone Color Configurations Add Visibility
Use a contrasting color on each end of ladder rungs to define the edge of the anti-slip surface and call attention to the side rails. A darker color in the center area can conceal any dirt or grime resulting from heavy use.
The colors on this web page serve only as a visual guide for initial selection of color. Actual finished product color may vary slightly from the version shown on your monitor based on grit size (coarseness) as well as the base material of construction. To see the actual color, please request a product sample.
Our ladder rung covers are custom manufactured in the USA to meet your application requirements. Contact us with any questions. Or, use the buttons below to request a sample or more information about our products.
Cost Effective Option for OEMs: Direct Gritting
When retrofit covers are not desirable, or if you have finished rungs but do not want to adhere or screw a cover over them, rungs or assemblies can be shipped directly to Safeguard where the anti-slip surface is applied.
Learn more about direct gritting
Most Ladder Rung Covers are installed using Sikaflex Adhesive however, mechanical fasteners can be used (on large diameter, channel shaped hollow rungs). In the case of Stainless or Galvanized Covers, tack-welding is an option.
Ladder Rung Cover Installation using Adhesive
Adhesive is the only option when installing SAFEGUARD® Pultruded Fiberglass FRP Ladder Rung Covers. Tack-welding is the most popular method to install steel Ladder Rung Covers, however, if “Hot Work” is not permitted, adhesive is also an option.
- Closely follow the surface preparation instructions for adhesive provided by Safeguard. Particular attention is necessary for Carbon Steel.
- Using fine grade sandpaper, lightly abrade the underside of the cover. This will help in promoting the bond with the adhesive.
- Insert the cartridge of SikaFlex 252 into a caulking gun and puncture the seal to initiate flow. Follow instructions on cartridge specifying temperature and cure time.
- Start 1? in from one end on the underside of the Cover and apply a ¼? bead of adhesive the length of the Cover, stopping 1? from the opposite end.
- Position the Cover over the rung in the desired position.
- Firmly push the Cover with adhesive onto the rung taking care not to slide the Cover.
Applying Ladder Rung Covers to Carbon Steel:
- Thoroughly clean steel rungs to remove any dirt, oil, grease, etc.
- Abrade to remove any rust.
- Apply a metal primer followed by high quality industrial coating which does not contain silicone or Teflon.
- When the topcoat is dry or cured, scuff lightly with sandpaper to remove gloss.
- Adhesive such as Sikaflex 252 can now be applied.